Saturday, September 20, 2008

My first affirmation

My top number one concern was my financial situation. I made too little money to be able to do anything at all. The depression was more or less under control, since I was already under medication that cost me almost 100 bucks, plus the doctor, I was spending most of my salary to keep my mental sanity. There is a point when you are so poor, that money actually brings happiness.

The book I read said affirmations should be something you think it’s very unlikely to get, but that you still think possible. So I asked for $4000 dollars. I thought becoming a millionaire was impossible. I honestly though $4000 was just too much, but the book also said to try something unlikely. I thought, the way things are developing for me right now, I’ll never make $4000 a month. But this is what I think I deserve, after working and studying so hard. So that’s what I was going to ask for.

My first affirmation was “I, Affirmagal, will make 4000 dollars a month.”

I wrote 15 times a day, like the book said. The book also said to do visualizations, which I didn’t. But somehow, just writing the affirmations made me feel a little better. Maybe that’s the concept of prayers. You don’t need to get what you want, but thinking about it already makes you feel happier. So I kept on going. I thought to myself, even if I don’t get $4000 a month, I’m starting to believe I can. I’m starting to have hope.

About 3 months later, I saw a job ad in a random website on the net. They were looking for web programmers, with great experience in some areas that I was actually an expert at. The ad said it was supposed to be remote work, and that I should say how much I expected to make. I applied, and said I wanted to make $4000 a month.

I thought “ha-ha”, he probably wants to hire someone from a third world country for 25 bucks. But we closed the deal. Three months after I started the affirmations, I was making the 4000 dollars I asked for.

***

I was a very rational person. I though… I asked to make 4000 a month for 3 months… I thought of it every day. Of course, when the opportunity appeared, I asked for 4000 dollars. It’s nothing to do with affirmations! I just wouldn’t have the guts to even ask for 4000 dollars if I wasn’t writing that down every day. So there wasn’t any coincidence there. Of course, there was the ad, but that’s hardly a coincidence. People post job ads every day.

I thought to myself that affirmations aren’t anything supernatural, they just give you hope. And when you have hope, when you believe things can actually go right for a change, they sometimes do. I took a chance, I got lucky. Maybe I had to learn to take risks, and maybe affirmations were simply a way to help me do that.

No comments: